NO SHOES TODAY’S FIRST LIEBSTER AWARD!
The Liebster award is an online award for new bloggers, nominated by other bloggers. The word ‘Liebster’ is actually a German word that translates to ‘dearest’, so I was pretty damn chuffed to have been nominated. No Shoes Today was only started a couple of months ago and getting this award has really helped to keep me pushing forward with it!
A massive thank you to Dane and Kristina at Wings Unleashed for nominating me!
For those of you who are yet to discover Wings Unleashed, it has been created by couple Dane and Kristina to share their travels and experience new cultures. Dane has been a keen traveller since his teenage years and hasn’t been able to shake the bug since, whilst Katrina is new to travelling but is going for it! I very much look forward to reading about your trips and hearing both of your perspectives on things!
As I have (very happily) accepted this award, I must follow the Liebster Award rules and I also have the opportunity of nominating other blogs that I love!
THE RULES OF THE LIEBSTER AWARD:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you, making sure you include links
- Create a blog post and display the Liebster Award
- Answer the 11 questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you
- Nominate 5-11 of your favourite new bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Notify the nominees
- Provide the rules and instructions for accepting the award
- Create 11 new questions for your nominees
- Post you Liebster Award blog post link in the comment of the nominators Liebster Award post
SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS FROM WINGS UNLEASHED!
1. What got you into travelling in the 1st place?
Well, I have always gone abroad ever since I was about 3. I have family in the States so my first ever flight was a long one to visit them! I have alway been lucky enough to go abroad on family holidays but when I was coming towards the end of University, my friend and I both had our hearts set on travelling. I think it was a combination of not knowing what I wanted to do and the feeling of being free to do what ever. So we went on a round the world trip for 8 months and ever since then, if I haven’t been at work, I’m usually away.
2. Where has been your favourite destination?
This is a trick one as my trips have varied from long to weekends away! But I think it’s safe to say that my favourite place has been Argentina. I feel in love with Buenos Aries with its amazing atmosphere and culture and food and wine. It’s somewhere I would go back to in a heartbeat.
3. Have you done something you never thought you’d be able to? e.g a skydive.
I have done a skydive and it was bloody brilliant! I did it with 2 friends in New Zealand at Abel Tasman where you can see both North and South Island as you fall. But to be honest, I KNEW I was going to do this. For me it was more of the mental battle when it came to doing looooads of overnight coaches in Asia and South America. When I kept hearing about how I was going to be spending so much time doing 15+ hours over night travel I wanted to cry, but it’s actually fine and a great way to meet people.
4. Whats the 1 things you cant take but wish you could take everywhere you go?
My bed from home haha! There’s just no other bed quite as comfy as your own!
5. What are your dislikes about travelling?
One thing that really bothers me is the ‘one-upmanship’ attitude that some people have. Travelling is not a competition and no one has done it better than everyone else. It is important to go where you want, how you want and do what you want. Making others feel like they have done something wrong is just untrue and unnecessary. It’s important to remember how lucky we are to be doing it in the first place!
6. What is the friendliest nationality you’ve met?
I love the dutch. I met so many people from the Netherlands when I was travelling and I recently went on a city break to Amsterdam and they are always so so welcoming and laid back. They don’t seem to sweat the small stuff which is just refreshing! Definitely people I can learn from.
7. Where do you plan to go next?
At the moment I’m not 100% sure. I keep getting emails through from various airlines showing sales so we will see!
8. Why did you start your blog?
I started it to return the favour. When I go away somewhere I am always reading other people’s blog posts and scrolling through Pinterest to look for what to do and how to do it. I travel on a budget but I’m not going to be one for sleeping on a bench in a park so I don’t have to spend anything. So I want to share my tips and stories on how I do this!
9. Which country have you tasted the best food?
I think this would have to be Vietnam and the amazing street food I had there. I didn’t know what the hell I was eating half the time but I didn’t care, it’s all part of the fun and if the locals are eating it, it must be good!
10. What is your favourite travel gadget?
I haven’t really travelled with many gadgets but I guess I would get nowhere without Google Maps. My sense of direction and map reading skills are a disgrace. I also like the ‘XE’ app that shows conversion rates so I know how much things are before I buy.
11. If you had unlimited money, where would you go for a holiday?
I would LOVE to go to Antartica. It’s just such a mind blowing place and has such an abundance of wildlife. And since I have unlimited money, I would buy the warmest gear in the world as I have no circulation haha!
So there you have it! Thank you once again to Wings Unleashed for the nomination! Now it’s my turn to give the questions and pass on the love!
MY NOMINEES ARE:
- The Shoestring Travel – This budget travel blog is run by Sheila who wants to show how everyone can travel even on a small budget. Sheila works full time, runs her blog and daydreams about her next adventures.
- Destinos Fotos e Sabores (Destinations, Photos and Tastes) – Michelle is Brazilian and a chemical engineer who has been a fanatical fan of travel since her childhood. She is a fantastic photographer and her blog is a real feast for the eyes!
- Explore Love Travel – Kristine is pursuing her dream to become a published author or photographer. She writes and travels as much as she can and shares her diary entries from her adventures
- Travelling Lucy – Lucy has a love of history and architecture which she incorporates into her travels and documents in her other passion-photography. Make sure you also check out her fab YouTube channel as well!
- Ross the Explorer – Ross spent his childhood going to new countries on holiday and did his first backpacking stint round India at just 17! Since then, he has been to many other places and has fallen in love with Australia and all it has to offer.
QUESTIONS FOR THEM ALL:
- Where was the first place you travelled to?
- What’s the weirdest thing you have experienced whilst travelling so far?
- If you could and if you wanted to, where would you go back to and do it differently?
- Other than your home, where have you most felt at home?
- Are you a beach or a city type?
- What is at the top of your travel bucket list at the moment?
- What one place do you always tell people they should go and visit?
- Why did you start your blog?
- What have you found hardest about blogging?
- Are you a planner or a spontaneous traveller
- What would be your number one piece of advice be for first time travellers?
I’d love to get to know you more! Tell me about yourself and your travelling plans for the year!